Where is the Huntress?

Current Location: Toronto, ON

citizenM New York hotel: Affordable luxury at its best

citizenM New York hotel provides luxury lodging at an affordable price

"citizenM hotel saves you money by tossing away old hotel clichés."

Last week, I found myself on a last minute trip to New York and scrambling to find a hotel for my stay. Of course, like all things I post on this blog, reasonable price and great quality are non-negotiable. And my temporary abode, citizenM New York hotel, was no exception. 

citizenM New York and I first met online last December. And the connection was electrifying. I was looking for accommodations in New York that would provide me with the affordable luxury I so desired, and the hotel was looking for discerning travellers, like myself, who valued progressive hotel amenities:

citizenM hotel: "Bellboys? Not here."
Me: "I'm intrigued. But why?"
citizenM hotel: "They're so passé, as with all old hotel clichés. I will use the money I saved to make your stay cheaper."
Me: *heart skips a beat*

The hotel and I were a match made in heaven.

Unfortunately, all the rooms were booked in December so I decided I would try again the next time I was in New York. The summer, being a less busy season than Christmas time, enabled me to book a room at the hotel this time around.

The Location

The beauty of the hotel's location is that it's a 20 minute, practically straight walk from Penn Station. No need to sit in traffic in a cab. Or navigate the city's vast subway system.

The drawback is that the hotel is located in Times Square. While I like Midtown Manhattan, I'm not a fan of super touristy areas. The hotel redeemed itself by being very close to several subway stations, making it easy for me to jet off to other neighbourhoods.

Check-In

citizenM New York hotel  self check-in kiosk
Self check-in kiosk

Remember how I said there were no bellboys? There are no bellboys. You walk through the doors, luggage in tow, and concierge greets you at the self check-in kiosk. Once concierge confirms your room is ready, you use the kiosk to check yourself in, pay up front, and activate your room key.

Your receipt then gets printed along with a complimentary drink voucher which can be redeemed at canteenM, the hotel's 24/7 grab and go kiosk for food and drinks (there is no room service). I redeemed my voucher for an Elderflower and Rose lemonade, which was quite refreshing.

The Room

Unlike other hotels, all the rooms at citizenM New York are identical and there is a maximum of 2 guests per room. I know what you're thinking. The rooms must be small. They are. But, what the room lacks in size, it makes up with the following:
  • XL king size bed with a pull out drawer large enough to store 2 carry-on suitcases
  • 2 slim closets to hang clothes
  • Italian linens
  • Free Wi-Fi
  • Premium TV channels
  • Power rain shower
  • iPad to control ambient room lighting, temperature, blinds, television, and alarm
  • Blackout curtains
  • Mini fridge with complimentary bottles of water 
  • No minibar (because who actually pays for those tiny bottles of liquor?!)
citizenM New York hotel king sized bed
Super duper XL king size bed
citizenM New York hotel pull out drawer
Pull out drawer large enough to store 2 carry-on suitcases

citizenM New York hotel room  sink with mini fridge
Out of bathroom sink complete with mini fridge

citizenM New York hotel room  desk
Desk that includes an adapter to charge your devices

citizenM New York hotel room bathroom with ambient lighting
Bathroom with the ambient room lights turned on


Other

Other perks of the hotel are:
  • cloudbar - the hotel's panoramic rooftop bar where patrons can sip on cocktails and punches while kicking back at the tree-trunk bar or lounging on one of the designer couches 
  • gym - located on the 20th floor

Final Thoughts

All in all, I would say my stay was pleasant. The 2 things I enjoyed the most about my stay were:
  1. The XL king size bed 
  2. The ambient room lighting 

Not only was the bed comfortable, but because it was so large, my moving around didn't disrupt my boyfriend's sleep. I also rise earlier than my boyfriend so the ambient room lighting enabled me to softly adjust the lights while I got ready in the morning which allowed my boyfriend to continue to snooze away.

In terms of late night snack attacks, I did venture to canteenM for something to nibble on, which I would say was average based on the 2 things I tried:

  • The chicken skewers were a bit salty (and obviously reheated for quick consumption) 
  • The pain au chocolat, which sat in a large jar, was rather moist and not particularly buttery or flaky

Would I stay at citizenM New York again? Yes. The price I paid was very reasonable, thanks to progressive practices in hotel operations and the extinguishment of old hotel clichés. And from the fast check-in to the friendly staff, complimentary products, and overall design, I would say this hotel is truly a gem for discerning travellers. 


No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig